Honey Mustard Chicken with Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

Crispy Chicken with Scalloped Yams

This simple recipe features crispy yet juicy oven-baked bone-in chicken breast , cheesy scalloped sweet potatoes and roasted broccoli.

If you are tired of the same old oven-baked chicken, this recipe will wake up your taste buds and make your mouth smile. The secret to this crispy yet juicy chicken is just one simple ingredient: honey mustard!

If you have followed my recipes, you will remember that I am not a big fan of sweet potatoes but I am determined to find a way to cook them that I will enjoy just because they are inexpensive and good for you. I think I finally hit on the right recipe by adapting scalloped potatoes and using sweet potatoes instead.

Preparing Honey Mustard Chicken

This mouth-watering chicken is so tasty it is hard to believe it is so easy to make!

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.

I used bone-in chicken breast to make this recipe but it would be just as good with chicken legs as well. Rinse the chicken in cold water and then pat to dry. If the chicken is not dry, the mustard coating will not adhere to the skin. I used a pastry brush to apply a good layer of honey mustard over the whole surface of the chicken.

Once the chicken is coated evenly, dip the chicken pieces into a pan with panko breadcrumbs, pressing the meat into the panko so it sticks to the mustard. Although I am sure you could use regular breadcrumbs, the panko breading is what makes this chicken so crispy when it is cooked. Place the chicken on the middle rack of your oven and immediately drop the heat to 375.

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

It is best to prepare the scalloped sweet potatoes before putting the chicken in the oven so they will have enough time to cook through.

To make the scalloped sweet potatoes I used a mandolin slicer to slice two large sweet potatoes and one large cooking onion. If you do not have a mandolin, simply use a sharp knife and try to get the thickness as even as possible. I sliced up the vegetables before prepping the chicken because the potatoes need to cook as long as the chicken to cook through.

To a large measuring cup or small mixing bowl add 1/2 cup of grated Romano cheese, two tbsp of flour and 3/4 cup of cold milk. Mix well so the flour is blended completely. Pour over the potatoes and onions and place the dish in the oven with the chicken.

Both dishes bake for 45 minutes and I topped the sweet potatoes with some panko breadcrumbs about fifteen minutes before I took them out of the oven to give some added texture to the dish.

Tasty Chicken with Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

To roast the broccoli, simple lay out the broccoli pieces on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place them on the lower rack of the oven with the chicken and potatoes, tuning after fifteen minutes.

About Tami McVey

I've always been very passionate about writing and cooking so I thought I would combine the two, and help others learn to cook budget-friendly, health-conscious meals. I've been writing a monthly column for a newspaper for just over two years now, and it's recently been increased to a bi-monthly column due to interest! I just graduated from a second Business Administration program with a focus on marketing, and for the past three years I've been working on developing my writing career... turning my dreams into goals. Thank you for stopping by!
This entry was posted in How To, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Honey Mustard Chicken with Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

1. Raani York says:

Yipee!! Another great recipe to try!! – Holy Cloud, Tami! If you go on like this I’ll be ROLLING by End of the year!! When are you actually going to publish a cook-book?

2. Tami McVey says:

LOL Thanks Raani. Hey the recipes aren’t that fattening, I’ve lost a lot of weight over the past year, you should be safe! haha

I’m not sure about a cookbook. I keep toying with the idea and it falls to the back of the list…

3. That looks scrumptious.

4. patgarcia says:

Hi Lady,
    You know as a Georgia girl coming directly the Deep South, I am a sweet potato fan. I’ve loved them ever since, I was a baby. In fact, I believe I was born with a sweet potato in my mouth, a song on heart, and an ink pen in my hand to write. :-) So I kindly thank you for this recipe. I am a lover of chicken also and believe me when I say, this is one recipe that I will go into my kitchen and try.

Great pictures. Great explanations – these instructions are detailed and written so that I as a non cook can understand them.

Ciao,
    Patti

• Tami McVey says:

Please let me know when you do try this recipe! I really enjoyed it, and I’m struggling to get used to used to sweet potatoes. Thank you for your unwavering support, and I apologize for taking so long to respond! Love you very much! xo

5. Noelle Govender says:

Dear Tami,

Thank you for another great recipe that is quick, easy, and healthy. Mandolin slicer: Wow. Why? In my humble opinion the mandolin slicer requires practice and technique. Kudos to you for your willingness to learn, improve, and master your craft and thus share it with others.

Many Blessings,
    Noelle
    P.S. Regarding the cookbook, go for I :).

• Tami McVey says:

Noelle, I’m very honoured you visited my blog again! Thank you! I use my mandolin slicer often… I included a link to show people the dangers. I actually sliced the tip of my baby finger nearly clean off with one when I was only 12!!!! I’m a pro now ;) (Actually I cheat and use a potholder so I don’t cut myself!!)

I’m nervous about a cookbook, but I’m still considering it. I may tackle it as a winter project! Thank you so much for your kind words and support!

6. I am not a sweet potatoes kind of guy. the sweet potatoes were ok this way, but the chicken was superb! Glad I tried it. xoxo

• Tami McVey says:

Thank you Sherman!! I’m not a fan either!! LOL Hence my desire to play with them and find a way I like them! I liked them ok this way, but I’m still not convinced the high nutrient value is worth it.. haha

Thank you for not only visiting, but for trying out the recipe and commenting! I really appreciate all of the support you give me! xoxo

7. Raani York says:

Dear Tami,
    I just found out that I got the wonderful “Friends and Followers” Award – and I wanted to forward it to you! I love your blog and I think you deserve it!!

Have fun- and congratulations! :-)